I hope your weekend was great, and I hope you enjoyed St. Patrick’s Day in style!
Whenever someone walks into my room, they can’t help but stare at the bookshelves that line my walls, filled floor to ceiling with great literature from Hemingway to Fitzgerald to Vonnegut to Salinger. “Well, aren’t we hooked on phonics?” some would even ask. And yes, yes I am hooked. Beyond hooked. I could spend a whole day with my nose in a great book while sipping on a cup of green tea. For as far back as I can remember I’ve lived vicariously through the great literatti. I’ve sailed rafts with Huck and Finn, travelled with Kerouac, attended parties with Gadsby and so on.
I made sense of many things in my life through the power of reading – it opened many doors that otherwise would’ve stayed closed and unexplored. Below I’ll share with you 5 of my all-time fave quotes.
5. “Life changes. You get it all lined up just the way you like it and then something beyond your control comes along and bumps you off center. Nothing stays the same. You grow up, make friends, lose friends, lose track of people, meet new ones and sometimes you ask yourself why. But all I can tell you is that every single experience you go through changed you in some way. Every new person who comes into your life changes you. Every moral dilemma or emotional experience you come up against changes you. It’s your job to decide how.”
4. “You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That’s the only thing you should be trying to control.” – Eat, Pray, Love
3. “Where you invest your love, you invest your life” – Mumford and Sons
2. “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” – Audrey Hepburn
1. “Even if we could turn back, we’d probably never end up where we started.” – Haruki Murakami
What is your fave book, or your fave quote? Share with me below!